National History of Delta Sigma Phi:
In 1899, at the City College of New York, the eight fraternities on campus were segregated on whether they were Christian or Jewish. While this was the typical distinction across the country at this time, a group of students sought to create a fraternity in which they could retain their friendships and grow, regardless of their race or creed. Thus On December 10, 1899 during a secret meeting, a new fraternity was born bearing the letters Delta Sigma Phi. Delta Sigma Phi was founded as the first member organization to initiate members without respect to race or creed, and accepting of members from various socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Soon Delta Sigma Phi would spread from The City College of New York to nearby Colombia and New York University. While the fraternity was initially composed of many men, due to their major contributions and leadership, the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity recognizes Meyer Boskey and Charles Tonsor (pictured below) as its distinguished founding members.
Two years following the 1914 Convention, the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity had expanded to nearly double its size, with ten new chapters. In 1920 the fraternity chartered its Alpha Delta chapter at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, including a highly diverse group of founding brothers. Today, Delta Sigma Phi is composed of 106 different chapters spanning across the US, with more chapters joining each year. The fraternity has adopted the American Red Cross as its national philanthropy organization, and strives towards the development of its chapters and members both new and old to become better men, to lead with courage, to act with passion, and to commit to excellence.